During my weight loss journey, I’m modifying my recipes to meet my better eating habits. This healthy and delicious gluten free meatloaf is made with a leaner mixture of meat, finely chopped veggies and a homemade low sugar ketchup. The ingredients are quick to put together and easy to prepare. The veggies help keep moisture in the meatloaf during reheating, so it doesn’t dry out. They also bring a hardier flavor to the dish. When you make this recipe, you will experience comfort food without the guilt.
Meatloaf requires a longer cooking time, so prepare to spend approx. 1.75 – 2 hours total on this specific meal prep (includes prep and cooking time).
Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
1 pound 85/15 grass fed ground beef (any beef can be used)
1 pound ground turkey
1 cup chopped onion (1 inch pieces)
1 cup chopped carrots (1 inch pieces)
1 medium onion roughly cut
2-3 cloves of garlic (your preference, I used 2)
1/2 cup of gluten free bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp chili powder
Low Sugar Ketchup:
6 oz. can of tomato paste
1-2 tbsp raw honey (I used 1, but 2 will make it sweeter)
1 pinch salt
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, ground beef, 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of black pepper, 1 tsp of chili powder, 1 egg and 1/2 cup of gluten free bread crumbs and set to side.
3. In a large food processor, chop the celery, carrots, garlic and onions into a fine texture. Add the veggie mixture into the large bowl.
4. Using a spoon or your hands, mix all the ingredients together.
5. Grease a loaf pan or narrow baking dish, then add the meatloaf mixture to the pan. Mold it, so the mixture is as even as possible once formed. Set to side.
6. Next, you’ll prepare your ketchup to go on top of the meatloaf. In a small saucepan, heat the raw honey and tomato paste over low heat. Stir occasionally. Once the honey melts and mixes with the tomato paste, add a small pinch of salt and stir once more.
7. Add the entire mixture to the top of the meatloaf and spread until the entire top is covered.
8. Place in the oven and cook until the internal temperature is 165 degrees. (Usually takes about an hour and a half on average)
9. Remove and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
This recipe serves 6.