I love Asian inspired flavors. I wanted to take on a gluten-free option of one of my favorite dishes, fried rice. Before I found out I was gluten intolerant, I always thought the high sodium and oil content was what made me sick. However, since gluten-free is a little challenging from many Asian food establishments, I decided to take on my own healthier version to meet my dietary and weight loss goals. Every time I make this dish, I feel like I’m cheating on my diet. I fulfill my bad food cravings without impacting my waist line!
I created this recipe as a plant based meal. However, your favorite protein can be switched out for the garbanzo beans as an alternative for my carnivore friends. Additionally, you’ll see egg is added to this recipe. To make it vegan, simply remove the egg.
Here’s what you’ll need to get started.
1.5 cups of cooked white rice
1 cup of chopped white onion
1 can of garbanzo beans
1 bag of your favorite frozen stir fry veggies (I used Season’s Choice)
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1/4 cup gluten-free tamari soy sauce (low sodium if possible)
1/8 cup rice vinegar
1 tbsp of sesame oil
1. Heat olive oil in a wok or large fry pan over medium heat.
2. Scramble two eggs in a bowl and add them to the wok. The eggs will cook very quickly, so be sure to stir the eggs so they don’t burn.
3. Once the egg is solidified, add your chopped onions, garlic and cooked white rice to the wok. You want the rice to heat up to prevent it from getting soggy from the sauce. The oil will help to stiffen the rice slightly.
4. After a few minutes, add in 1/8 of the gluten-free tamari soy sauce along with the rice vinegar and sesame oil. Stir and evenly coat the rice mixture.
5. After a minute or so cooking, add the frozen stir fry veggie mix and the garbanzo beans to the wok. Stir occasionally.
6. Once the veggies are cooked through, add the remaining 1/8 cup of gluten-free tamari soy sauce to the wok. Stir. Let cook for an additional 1-2 minutes and remove from heat. Serve immediately.
This recipe makes 3 servings.