This delicious double chocolate zucchini bread is both gluten free and dairy free. If you’d like to make this recipe vegan, simply replace the eggs for flax or chia eggs. You’ll be pleasantly surprised that this is a healthier version, due to the reduced sugar levels in the recipe!
Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
1 3/4 cups gluten free flour
1 large zucchini
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 1/2 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
*Not all gluten free flour is created equal. I recommend slowly adding in flour. If you are using a 1:1 flour, I would recommend using 1 1/2 cups of gluten free flour for this recipe. The version I use is not a 1:1 and therefore requires slightly more flour to reach my desired batter consistency!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a small to medium sized bowl with paper towels or a cheese cloth. Using a box grater or a grating attachment to grate a large zucchini (cut ends off). Place the grated zucchini in a the bowl.
- Using the paper towels or cheese cloth, squeeze the zucchini to remove as much water as possible. Approximately 1/4 cup – 1/2 cup of water should be removed from the grated mixture before adding it to the batter. Set zucchini to the side and prepare dry and wet ingredient mixture.
- Mix the gluten free flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk ingredients until well blending. Set to side.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, maple syrup, vanilla and milk together. Whisk the ingredients together.
- Slowly whisk in the melted coconut oil to the wet mixture. Whisk until well blended.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredient bowl. Use a spoon to fold all ingredients together until it’s a smooth texture. If there are clumps, use the whisk to break up the batter once it’s well incorporated.
- Once the batter is a smooth consistency, add half of the zucchini shreds. Fold the zucchini into the batter until it’s well mixed. Add the rest of the zucchini shreds and continue to fold until the shreds are covered and evenly mixed into the batter.
- Add the chocolate chips to the mixture. Fold ingredients until mixed.
- Grease a standard loaf pan with coconut oil. You can also use a thin piece of parchment paper to assist with the removal of the loaf.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan and spread mixture so it’s evenly distributed.
- Place pan in the oven from approx. 50-60 minutes. The cooking time will vary depending on your oven. Use a toothpick to poke the middle of the bread. If the toothpick is clean, then the bread is ready to be removed from the oven.
- Let cool 2-3 minutes, then remove from the loaf pan. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
The double chocolate zucchini bread can be served warm or at room temperature. You can store the bread in an airtight container or it can also be placed in the freezer for long term storage. Simply defrost when ready for use.
This recipe creates 10 servings.