If you like a little kick with your veggies, then this dish is a must try! This hardy vegan recipe is delicious with room for moderation. If vegan isn’t your thing, a meat protein (I’d recommend chicken or shrimp) can easy be added to meet your dietary preference.
What I love about this recipe is truly how simple it is to make. Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
2 sweet potatoes cubed
1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
1 red onion sliced or chopped
1 can of black beans
2 tbsp of olive oil
2 tsp of cajun seasoning
Salt and Black Pepper to Taste (I use 2 pinches)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- While the oven is preheating, place the cubed sweet potatoes on a sheet pan.
- Pour 1 tbsp of olive oil over the cubed sweet potatoes. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper. Then add 1 tsp of cajun seasoning. Hand mix the sweet potatoes to evenly spread the oil and seasoning. As an alternative, this step can also be completed in a bowl prior to adding the sweet potatoes to the sheet pan.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and reduce the temperature to 400 degrees.
- Add broccoli florets and sliced red onion to the sheet pan. Caution! The pan will be hot, so be careful. Pour the other tbsp of olive oil onto the veggie mixture. Add 1 tsp of cajun seasoning. If desired, add more salt and pepper to taste. Mix the veggies with a spatula to evenly spread the oil and seasoning.
- Place the sheet pan back in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes. The cook time will depend on how you like your broccoli cooked.
- When the timer goes off, remove the pan from the oven and add your black beans. Mix the black beans with the veggies using your spatula. Place back in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Once the timer rings, remove from the oven and serve.
I like this dish over white rice or quinoa. Please pair with any side you enjoy.