During my meal prep this week, I challenged myself to make 3 different recipes from one pound of ground turkey. Right now, times are tough and I am looking for ways to make food stretch for those on tight budgets! I instantly thought taco meat could be an excellent choice. This recipe is great, because you can make this by itself or with the other two recipes (Burrito Bowl or Loaded Mexican Spaghetti Squash). This recipe is 226 calories a serving (24g carbs and 13g protein).
Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
1/4 pound ground turkey
1/4 gluten free taco seasoning packet
3/4 cup black beans
3/4 cup whole kernel sweet corn
1/2 cup cooked white rice
1/2 cup Mexican style shredded cheese
1/4 cup red onion chopped
1/4 tomato diced
1/4 cup water
1 jalapeño or 1/4 bell pepper chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
pinch black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Prepare the taco meat by browning the ground turkey over medium heat.
3. Add seasoning packet and approx. 1/4 cup of water to browned turkey. Simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Remove the taco meat from heat and place in a large bowl. Set to side.
5. Prepare your zucchini by cutting off the ends and cutting the zucchini down the middle, long ways. You should have four long pieces of zucchini.
6. Scoop out the inside of the zucchini with a spoon. This will create a “boat” like appearance. Using a brush, spread olive oil on the inside of each zucchini. Season each piece with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Grab the bowl of taco meat and add the black beans, corn, cooked rice, tomato and chopped jalapeño or bell pepper to create the filling for your boats.
8. Mix all ingredients until the taco seasoning from the meat is coated on all ingredients.
9. Using a spoon, scoop the filling into each zucchini boat. This process may be a little messy. Push down the ingredients to maximize the amount of filling in each zucchini.
10. Place in oven and cook for 20-25 minutes, covered in foil.
11. Add shredded cheese to the top of each boat the last 5 minutes of cooking. Cook uncovered.
This recipe serves 4.